Kati Basti, Janu Basti, Griva Basti – Lower back / Knee / Cervical Area Treatment
Basti stands for retaining something inside, in this case mainly medicated oil. The healing properties of herbal oils used for this basti deeply clean and fortify the blood, build strong muscle and connective tissues, and lubricate the joints. Katibasti, Grivabasti, and Janubasti are herbal oil treatments which consist of pooling warm herbal oil or ghee in a dough ring, on a specific region of the body. Oil penetrates into the skin, softens the tissues and eases inflammation. This alleviates pain and quickly rejuvenates the affected area.
These treatments include (Depending on the location of the are being treated):
For lower back pain and other spine problems. This is form of giving fomentation to localized area, by applying and retaining heated herbal oil to the sacral or lumbar region. This special technique is aimed at providing relief by bathing the lower back. A frame of black gram paste is made around the sacral region. Warm medicated oil is poured into this frame. This warm oil heats the sacral region followed by massage done locally to the region.
Duration of treatment: 20-50 minutes
1) Increases the circulation in the region, as the herbal oil gets deeply absorbed into the skin, and both nourishes and strengthens the muscles and nerves.
2) Pacifies one of the primary sites of Vata, relieving pain, soreness, and tension and restoring flexibility.
3) Relieves chronic lower backaches and painful muscle spasms, stiffness, and degenerative problems.
- Painful low back region
- Lumbar spondylosis
- Disc prolapse
- Ankylosing spondylosis
- Neurological disorders
- Degenerative spine changes
- Compressed disc
For lower neck pain and other cervical disorders. The person undergoing Greeva Basti is made to lie face down on the massage table. The dough is prepared out of black gram flour or whole wheat flour. It is then made into a small ring of four to five inches in diameter which is placed over the neck to cover all the vertebrae of the neck and 2-3 vertebrae of the thoracic region. After it is glued with some water to make it leakproof, lukewarm medicated oil or the decoction of herbs is slowly poured into it. When this cools down it is squeezed out and replaced with warmer liquid. At the end of the procedure, the dough is removed; a gentle massage is given over the area. The person is made to take rest for a while.
Duration of treatment: 30 minutes
1) Relieves the burden of stress and congestion in nerves, bones and muscles of the neck and shoulders and thus relaxing and rejuvenating them.
2) Improves flexibility and brings smooth movement.
3) Improves circulation around the neck and shoulder region.
4) Relieves pain and stiffness.
- Cervical spondylosis
- Cervical disc lesion
- Tingling, numbness of hands
- Compression fractures
- Chronic pain in neck region
- Frozen shoulder
For knee and joint pain and other problems. This procedure is done in order to strengthen the knee architecture (i.e muscles, joints) and improvise the functions of knee joint, thereby preventing it from further degenerative changes.
The patient is made to sit in a comfortable position with both legs extended. The mould is fixed on one or both knees made with the help of the kneaded black gram dough of suitable height. Medicated oil of suitable temperature is poured inside the prepared wall and retained for about 30-40 minutes. The warmth of the oil is maintained throughout the procedure. At the end of the procedure the dough is removed, a gentle massage is given over the area. The person is made to take rest for a while.
1) Relief from knee pain.
2) Improvement in the movement of knee joints.
3) Reduction in the swelling.
4) Increased weight bearing capacity.
- Sublaxation of knee joint
- Knee pain
- Ligament tear